Timeshare Broker Beat
The Timeshare Broker Beat: Bringing you up to date information about the timeshare industry - from tips on scouting out the hottest new property to scam alerts for protecting yourself when buying or selling timeshare.
BBB and FTC Offer New Advice to Timeshare Sellers
Last week, the Better Business Bureau began an investigation into the legitimacy of an Iowa-based “vacation ownership closing company” going by the name of Wade Capital Management.
According to iowa.bbb.org, "the company purports to be located at 668 19th Street in Des Moines, Iowa; however, mail sent to this address has been returned as undeliverable. The address is a 7 unit apartment building. The owner of the building states that there is no business known as Wade Capital Management operating from such location."
Unfortunately, this story sounds all too familiar. In addition to fake resale companies and upfront-fee agencies, phony closing or escrow companies are just another way that timeshare sellers can get scammed. Looking to sell your timeshare? We can’t say it enough – do your research! Want a crash course?
The BBB and the FTC offer the following advice for those wishing to sell their timeshare:
- Don’t agree to anything on the phone or online until you’ve had a chance to check out the reseller. Contact the BBB and the state Attorney General where the reseller is located.
- Ask the salesperson for all information in writing.
- Ask if the reseller’s agents are licensed to sell real estate where your timeshare is located. If so, verify it with the state Real Estate Commission. Deal only with licensed real estate brokers and agents, and ask for references from satisfied clients.
- Ask about fees and timing. It’s preferable to do business with a reseller that takes its fee after the timeshare is sold. If you must pay a fee in advance, ask about refunds. Get refund policies and promises in writing.
- Don’t assume you’ll recoup your purchase price for your timeshare, especially if you’ve owned it for less than five years and the location is less than well-known.
SOURCE: BBB Warns Consumers of Phony Timeshare Escrow Service: 04/04/12. Retrieved from: http://iowa.bbb.org/article/BBB-Warns-Consumers-of-Phony-Timeshare-Escrow-Service-33650